Sunday 12 January 2014

Cheesy Potato Gem Bake

Last year I promised to share a simple recipe to you all involving potato gems!!
This recipe is SO SO SO EASY and you don't need to be some MasterChef to do this! My brothers and their friends absolutely love this dish. It is a great side dish to serve with other things at a big dinner or gathering. Of course it is not healthy dish but you could always change the potato gems for a healthier alternative such as pumpkin or sweet potato.

Ingredients:
Potato Gems
Shredded Cheese (I used mozzarella and tasty cheese but the choice is yours!)
Diced Bacon

3 ingredients - THAT IS IT! This recipe is so easy to follow (and even more so with pictures!), so give this a try :)

Method:
  1. Bake/fry the potato gems according to the packaging instructions - this is so you can avoid having mashed/soggy potato gems in the final result.
  2. Lightly spray your baking dish and put one layer of cooked potato gems.
  3. Layer cheese and bacon on top of potato gems
  4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 till you have filled your baking dish. (I did three layers in total)
  5. Bake it at 200c for about 15-20 minutes or until the cheese has melted and turned golden

And VIOLA! You are done with a cheesy bacon goodness of a potato bake. It is crunchy, stringy and tasty. You can always enhance this by adding some sauteed onions and mushrooms etc. Be creative with this basic yet delish dish.


Here is my brother's plate filled with mainly potato gems (serving number 1). 





Now a quick mention about healthier alternatives of this dish. Here is one made with roasted pumpkin (Sorry about the poor quality picture). It has been made the same way as previously mentioned (just with pumpkin & low fat cheese instead) and it was a success. It was pretty tasty but unfortunately does not have the crunch factor like the potato gems. But hey I thought it was a good substitute for me considering that I am watching my waistline more than my brothers (haha).




Give this recipe a try and let me know what you thought! :)

Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment