Wednesday 21 August 2013

Attempt #1 DIY Gel Clutch Bag

So on YouTube I have subscribed to a lot of people. If you look closer a whole lot of it is DIYs, cooking and beauty. I love watching DIYs and always go.. "One day I am gonna do that!" but never do.

One of the YouTube channels I am subscribed to is secretlifeofabionerd and I have to say she is pretty awesome! One of her tutorials was a clear makeup case and I really liked her idea of integrating a pouch for facial wipes. So I thought why not seek out more tutorials related to clear bags or cases and gain some inspiration. Did a lil search on YouTube and typed 'diy clear bag'... low and behold another cool tutorial popped up.. this... DIY Gel-Filled Clutch



It was too awesome not to try out. So I headed out and bought supplies! Unfortunately I did not get the waterproof superglue but some UHU contact glue that was waterproof in a stick form.


After doing this first attempt with this glue - I think I will buy that waterproof superglue as it seem so much easier on the video than what I was doing. 

So I pretty much followed the video but with a few tweaks. I made my own template on an A4 piece of paper and traced the vinyl over it.








In the video, the girl used soap and soap dye. Me, I used cheap hair gel mixed with some water and food colouring. I have to say I preferred how my gel turned out - it wasn't watery or runny like hers.



End result - a pretty cool bag. One thing I would definitely change is the glue I used - it was just fiddly to work with a gluestick. Also it didn't dry as transparent as I would like it to - the bag had streak marks on the edges. Plus maybe if I wasn't trying to finish the project in top speed, I should have wiped off the pen marks on the outline of the vinyl. Cause it left the edges looking kind of dirty. 

Will I make this again? Yes - it is really awesome and kinda uniquely fashionable. It is retro, cool, funky and plain awesome. I am planning to make one as a present for a friend and chuck in some beads or glitter into the gel as well. Overall it is a fairly simple tutorial and you should try it out! You will love the end result :)

Good Luck!
Andrea

Oh and P.S. make sure you have absolutely covered all edges with glue with at least a 1 cm from the edge in. Because unfortunately, I had one tweeny weeny part that wasn't glued properly and it is leaking. I need to buy that waterproof superglue pronto to squirt into that section.

P.P.S. How many of you think my clutch looks like those refreeze-able icepacks? XD

1 comment: